Content of the material
- What’s New for 2022?
- Infotainment and Connectivity
- Titan XD Problems and Reliability
- About Our Dealership
- At a Glance: 2019 Nissan TITAN XD
- We Live & Breath Diesel
- 5.0L Cummins V8 Turbocharger System
- Cummins 5.0ISV Fuel System
- Emissions System
- Ceramic Glow Plugs
- Upgrading Performance
- 1. Tuners
- 2. Cold Air Intakes
- 3. Digital Gauge Displays
- 5.0L Cummins Towing Specs
- Nissan Titan XD Diesel Towing Capacity & Specs
- Nissan Titan XD 5.0L Cummins Diesel History and Model Year Changes
- Nissan Titan XD News
What’s New for 2022?
For 2022, Nissan only makes the smallest changes to the Titan XD lineup. The SV Convenience and Pro-4X Convenience package now both include a gooseneck hitch.
Infotainment and Connectivity
Base S and value-minded SV models come with a 7.0-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, but Pro-4X, SL, and Platinum Reserve trims get a new 9.0-inch display as well as a Wi-Fi hotspot. The SV trim level and higher has a 5.0-inch gauge-cluster screen that can display diagnostics, fuel economy, and an off-road accelerometer. It also has a neat Trailer Light Check feature for singlehanded monitoring of the trailer’s lighting connections.
Titan XD Problems and Reliability
No recalls have yet affected the 2022 Nissan Titan XD. The 2021 model was recalled just once for an issue where the front turn signal bulbs could fail to illuminate. As for the 2020 model, it was affected by the same recall as long as two others: one for tire failure caused by sudden air loss and another for exposed wire in the engine harness that could lead to a stall.
Nissan offers a respectable warranty plan on new purchases, which includes a 100,000-mile/five-year bumper-to-bumper warranty, covering the drivetrain, too. The roadside-assistance plan is valid for 36,000 miles/36 months and no standard scheduled maintenance plan is included.
About Our Dealership
If you’re interested in the Titan, St. Charles Nissan can help. We carry a wide array of Titan and Titan XD models, all in a range of configurations and trim levels to help you get the features that matter to you most. From the Pro 4X and its specialized off-roading equipment to the range-topping Platinum Reserve with its luxury features, there’s a perfect match for you somewhere in this lineup.
If you’re not sure which truck you need, our sales representatives will be happy to assist you. We’ll discuss your work and driving needs and recommend a few options we think will be a great fit. We’ll then get you set up with a test drive of your top picks!
At a Glance: 2019 Nissan TITAN XD
The 2019 Nissan TITAN XD stakes out a unique position between traditional heavy-duty and light-duty trucks, offering some of the effortless towing and hauling of larger, more expensive heavy-duty trucks – yet with fuel-efficiency and affordability closer to a half-ton pickup.
For the 2019 model year, TITAN XD features a range of enhancements – starting with a new Fender® Premium Audio System.
Other TITAN XD changes for 2019 include:
- A new 7.0-inch touchscreen audio/IT display with NissanConnect® featuring Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ – standard on all models
- New Rear Door Alert (RDA) system1, which helps remind drivers to check the back seat after the vehicle is parked, added as standard equipment on TITAN XD King Cab and Crew Cab models
- An additional USB media port (two total)
- A pair of illuminated USB-A charge ports is added to PRO-4X, SL and Platinum Reserve grades
- A new body-color outer grille with gloss metallic black inner treatment for the SV grade (replaces the previous chrome grille treatment)
- New integrated gooseneck hitch with a plug inside the bed for even greater ease of towing
- Larger capacity DEF tank
- Two new exterior paint colors: Midnight Pine Metallic and Moab Sunset Metallic
The 2019 TITAN XD lineup includes Crew Cab, King Cab and Single Cab body styles, two bed lengths, choice of a powerful Cummins® 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel or Nissan 5.6-liter Endurance® V8 engines, 4×4 or 4×2 drivelines and up to five well-equipped grade levels. TITAN XD has an available maximum towing capacity of 12,710 pounds and maximum payload capacity of 2,990 pounds (when properly equipped). For 2019, the TITAN XD Diesel also adds a larger DEF tank and a new integrated gooseneck hitch with a plug inside the bed for even greater ease of towing.
Again in 2019, TITAN XD Diesel Cab SV and SL grade 4×4 models are offered with a special Midnight Edition Package, which includes body color front grille with dark insert, dark headlamps, black fog lamp finisher, black exterior badging, black mirrors, black door handles, 20-inch black wheels, body color front and rear bumpers, black step rains, black interior trim and “Midnight Edition” exterior badge.
Every 2019 TITAN XD is covered by America’s Best Truck Warranty2, featuring bumper-to-bumper coverage of 5-years/100,000-miles, whichever comes first.
Highlights of the 2019 Nissan TITAN XD Crew Cab include:
Available Body and Bed Features
- Bold, commanding presence with fresh, modern technical feel
- Choice of Crew Cab, Single Cab and King Cab body styles
- 151.6-inch wheelbase, 242.7-inch overall length
- 6.5-foot bed length (Crew Cab)
- 8.0-foot bed (Single Cab)
- 6.5-foot bed (King Cab)
- LED headlights with signature Daytime Running Lights
- LED bulb taillights
- Integrated cab and tailgate spoilers
- Available LED Bed Rail Lighting
- Tailgate illumination
- Available lockable, removable in-bed storage that can hold a wide range of essential work and recreational equipment, and is watertight and drainable
- Cargo area/tailgate lamps and LED bed lighting
- Available spray-on bedliner
- Available Utili-trackTM Bed Channel System with adjustable aluminum-alloy tie-down cleats
- Two-way dampened tailgate assist
- Step rails for improved cabin and bed entry/exit and aerodynamic efficiency
- Bed-mounted 110-volt utility power point
- Laminated side glass
- Available body color front grille with dark insert, dark headlamps, black fog lamp finisher, black exterior badging, black mirrors, black door handles, body color front and rear bumpers, black step rails, “Midnight Edition” exterior badge, black headliner and interior trim
- 11 available exterior paint colors: Java Metallic, Forged Copper Metallic, Magnetic Black Metallic, Brilliant Silver Metallic, Gun Metallic, Cayenne Red Metallic, Pearl White (premium color), Glacier White, Deep Blue Pearl Metallic and new Midnight Pine Metallic and Moab Sunset Metallic (premium color)
Engine and Driveline
- Available Cummins® 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel with Cummins® M2 two-stage turbo system
- Bosch® HPCR fuel system
- Compacted graphite iron (CGI) engine block
- 310 horsepower @ 3,200 rpm and 555 lb-ft of torque @ 1,600 rpm
- Heavy-duty 6-speed Aisin automatic transmission
- 2,490-pound maximum payload capacity (when properly equipped)
- 12,710 pounds maximum towing capacity (when properly equipped)
- Available 5.6-liter Endurance® V8 gasoline engine
- Continuous Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS)
- Variable Valve Event and Lift (VVEL)
- Direct Injection Gas (DIG™) technology
- Multi Control Valve (MCV)
- 11.2:1 compression ratio
- 390 horsepower @ 5,800 rpm
- 394 lb-ft of torque @ 4,000 rpm
- 7-speed automatic transmission with AT fluid warmer
- 2,990 pounds maximum payload capacity (when properly equipped)
- 11,680 pounds maximum towing capacity (when properly equipped)
- Available Electronic Locking Rear Differential
Suspension, Steering and Braking
- Double-wishbone front suspension with stabilizer bar
- Rigid axle /leaf spring rear suspension
- Twin-tube shock absorbers
- Available Bilstein mono-tube shocks
- Recirculating ball type high-capacity steering system
- 4-wheel ventilated discs, 14.2 x 1.5-inch front/14.4 x 1.2-inch rear, hydraulic power assist
- 17-inch, 18-inch or available 20-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
- LT245/75R17, LT 275/65R18 or LT265/60R20 tires
- Available 20-inch black aluminum-alloy wheels (Midnight Edition)
Available Towing and Driving Aids
- Trailer Light Check
- Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
- RearView Monitor with Trailer Guides
- Trailer Sway Control
- Integrated Gooseneck Hitch with plug inside the bed
- Tow/Haul Mode with Downhill Speed Control
- Hill Descent Control
- Hill Start Assist
- Brake Limited-Slip Differential (LSD)
- Electronic locking rear differential (when properly equipped)
- Intelligent Around View® Monitor (I-AVM)
- Blind Spot Warning (BSW)
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Front and Rear Sonar Sensors
Available Interior Features
- Available Zero Gravity front and rear seats
- Leather-appointed seating
- Available Climate-controlled front seats (heating and cooling)
- Available heated front and rear seats
- Fold-up 2nd row seat
- Lockable rear underseat storage compartment with fold-out flat floor
- Large center console storage with room for 15-inch laptop computer
- Automatic Dual Zone Climate Control
- Supplemental cabin heater (diesel-equipped models)
- Interior cabin filter
- Remote Engine Start3 with Auto Temp Control
- 12-volt and 110-volt power outlets (150 and 400 watt)
- Nissan Door to Door Navigation
- NissanConnect Services powered by SiriusXM® (SiriusXM® subscription required, sold separately)
- 7.0-inch touchscreen audio/IT display with Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ – standard on all models
- Column shifter with manual shift control
- Tilt and telescoping steering column
- Available Fender® Premium Audio System with 12 speakers (10 speakers on King Cab)
- Available Nissan Intelligent Key™ with door handle request switch
- Hands-free Text Messaging Assistant
- New Rear Door Alert (RDA) system1
Safety and Security
- Nissan Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) with single-stage driver and dual-stage passenger supplemental air bags with seat belt sensors and front occupant classification sensor
- Roof-mounted curtain supplemental air bags with rollover sensor for side-impact and rollover head protection for outboard positions in all rows
- Front seat-mounted side-impact supplemental air bags
- 3-point front seat belts with dual pretensioners and load limiters
- 3-point seat belts for all rear seat occupants, including center position (Crew Cab)
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat anchor system (Crew Cab)
- Child safety rear door locks (Crew Cab)
- Zone Body construction with front and rear crumple zones
- Engine immobilizer
- Vehicle security System
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with standard warning display in navigation system
- Assembled by Nissan North America, Inc., Canton, Mississippi Plant4
- Diesel engine assembled by Cummins, Inc., Columbus, Indiana4
- Gasoline engines assembled by Nissan North America, Inc. Decherd, Tennessee Plant4
# # #
- Rear Door Alert is intended to remind people to check the back seats of their vehicle under certain circumstances. It cannot prevent accidents caused by inattention or carelessness.
- Claim based on years/mileage (whichever occurs first) covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty basic coverage. Ward’s in-market Large Pickup Segmentation and Small Pickup Segmentation v. 2019 TITAN and TITAN XD. Nissan’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty basic coverage excludes tires, corrosion coverage and federal and California emission performance and defect coverage. Other terms and conditions also apply. See dealer for complete warranty details. Warranty claim is current at time of printing.
- State laws may apply; review local laws before using.
- Assembled with domestic and foreign parts.
We Live & Breath Diesel
Want to learn more about the latest insights in the diesel industry? Signup for our newsletter and stay up to date on the top trending topics!
Highly advanced turbocharging and fuel injection systems are the biggest contributing factors to the 5.0L Cummins impressive performance specs. From the factory, these trucks produce 310 horsepower and 555 lb-ft of torque. Max Tow capacity is maxed out at around 12,314 lbs. Effective, advanced emissions devices help this engine be as clean as it is powerful. A 6-speed heavy-duty Aisin transmission helps bring all this power to the ground.
Below we’ll go into more detail about all of these unique performance attributes and how they work.
5.0L Cummins V8 Turbocharger System
The Nissan Titan XD Diesel truck uses a unique, highly-advanced twin sequential turbocharger system. Holset (Cummins Turbo Technologies) supplies this new M2 turbocharger set-up that is made up of two separate turbochargers. This design provides excellent performance throughout the entire power band. A smaller turbocharger provides quicker throttle response and acceleration, and adequate performance for lower airflow scenarios. The larger turbocharger provides better performance at higher engine speeds or under heavy loads.
A patented rotary valve helps control air flow between the two turbos. It opens ports to perform a bypass or wastegate functionality. It also provides exhaust after-treatment thermal management.
Cummins 5.0ISV Fuel System
The Cummins 5.0ISV uses a High Pressure Common Rail (HPCR) supplied by Bosch. At the heart of this system lies a Bosch CP4.2 injection pump that can pressurize fuel up to 29,000 psi. Piezo fuel injectors are used, capable of firing up to 7 times per combustion event. Piezo injectors are known to provide quiet operation and have benefitted other diesel trucks before the 5.0L Cummins.
While the new fuel injection systems used of modern diesels are very capable and efficient, the Bosch CP4.2 has been known to be extremely vulnerable to poor fuel quality. To help protect the entire fuel system, an advanced Cummins two-stage fuel filtration system is used. It provides significantly better fuel filtration by using the latest NanoNet media from Cummins Filtration. The NanoNet filter media reduces fuel-flow restrictions while simultaneously trapping more than 99% of all particles as small as 4 microns.
While emissions devices hardly contribute to the Nissan Titan XD 5.0L Cummins engine’s performance specs, they do make this engine extremely clean. The Cummins 5.0ISV engine utilizes exhaust gas recirculation, Selective Catalyst Reduction, and a diesel particulate filter. These systems result in almost zero Nitrogen Oxide emissions and negligent particulate matter emissions.
Ceramic Glow Plugs
For better cold weather performance, the 5.0L Cummins Engine uses ceramic glow plugs. They make starting the engine in extremely cold temperatures easier and reduce start-up times. They also reduce electrical current draw for lower vehicle charging system requirements. These ceramic glow plugs should not require maintenance and are built to last these vehicles’ lifetimes.
Because the Nissan Titan XD uses the 5.0L Cummins Diesel engine, performance can be improved very easily. Diesel trucks are highly customizable and often have tons of untapped potential. Here are a couple of the best Nissan Titan XD 5.0L Cummins Performance Upgrades.
1. Tuners Tuners are the easiest and most effective way to add horsepower and torque to your Nissan TITAN XD with the 5.0L Cummins Engine. EZ-Lynk’s Auto Agent 2 with custom tuning will offer the best gains. The tuner doesn’t come with tunes so you will have to find a quality tuning company to create and send you tunes after purchasing the device.
2. Cold Air Intakes AFE’s Momentum HD 5.0L Cummins Cold Air Intake system is one of many CAI systems that can provide your Nissan Titan XD with more airflow for better performance!
3. Digital Gauge Displays Digital Gauge Displays, often also called performance monitors, like the Edge Insight CTS3 offer vehicle customization settings and real-time data parameter monitoring. Check out our Edge Insight CTS3 review for more information about this system.
5.0L Cummins Towing Specs
Despite using a Diesel engine, the 5.0L Cummins diesel equipped Nissan Titan XD doesn’t offer better max towing capacity when compared to gasoline-powered rivals like the F-150, Ram 1500, or the Silverado 1500. It does offer significantly better towing performance however. This is because the 5.0L Cummins Engine reaches peak torque much earlier, at only 1,600 rpm, which is much sooner than typical gas engines. Diesel engines get significantly better fuel economy when towing than gasoline engines, so if you will be towing frequently, this makes it a very valid option. In fact, we think the Titan XD with the 5.0L Cummins Engine is an excellent choice for owners of small campers.
Nissan Titan XD Diesel Towing Capacity & Specs
|Towing Specs||4×24×4||Class 4 Hitch(Standard Towing)||Gooseneck Hitch|
|Max Payload||4×24×4||2,091 lbs2,003 lbs||1,920 lbs1,840 lbs|
|Maximum Towing Capacity||4×24×4||12,314 lbs12,037 lbs||12,160 lbs11,890 lbs|
|Max Tongue Weight||4×24×4||1,231 lbs1,204 lbs||1,216 lbs1,189 lbs|
|Maximum GCWR||4×24×4||19,450 lbs19,450 lbs||19,450 lbs19,450 lbs|
Nissan Titan XD 5.0L Cummins Diesel History and Model Year Changes
2016 In 2016, the 5.0L Cummins Diesel engine makes its debut on the brand new 2016 Nissan Titan XD. Upon release, the 5.0L Cummins diesel powertrain produces 310 horsepower and 555 lb-ft of torque from the factory, offering a more powerful, capable, and durable alternative to many half-ton gasoline powered trucks in the same segment.
2017 In 2017, single cab and extended cab (King cab) configurations were added to the Nissan Titan XD lineup. Max tow capacity is increased to 12,640 lbs. 5 new packages are also added for the 2017 model year.
2018 The 2018 Nissan Titan XD with the 5.0L Cummins Engine received no mechanical improvements for this model year. A new Moonlight edition does become available however, offering a sharp “blacked-out” look. It has
2019 The 2019 Nissan Titan XD is the last model year available with the 5.0L Cummins Diesel engine. For this year, the Titan XD receives some refinement touches like a better stereo system and a bigger center display. The only change made specific to the 5.0l Cummins Engine is that the DEF capacity is increased because a larger DEF tank was added. Max tow capacity is also increased to 12,710 lbs.
Learn more about these trucks in our “Ultimate Guide to Nissan Titan XD Diesel Trucks” post.
Nissan Titan XD News
Trucks 1 Nissan Paying Dealers Thousands To Sell More Titans Customers can also benefit. Read how. Industry News There's Another Nissan Armada Upgrade Coming But what's taking so long? Trucks 11 Nissan Is Desperate To Sell 2020 Titans Right Now This could be the best deal for a full-size truck on the market.